Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Silky Pumpkin Hummus

My friend Shera gave me a huge bag of dried organic chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) a few weeks ago. She laughingly told me that "I can't resist the food co-op.  And I forget 4 of my children are grown ups and no longer live with me.  I always buy way too much...please take some off my hands!"  Well...OK, sure.  I mean..score!  Who doesn't love free food?  And something as delicious as chickpeas makes the gift even better.

So I have been cooking lots and lots of chickpeas.  I add them to chili, salad, casseroles and pasta. I mash them and shape into patties and fry for delicious vegetarian burgers.  And I make hummus...massive quantities of hummus.  The new "thing" seems to be pumpkin hummus as I have seen recipes for this interesting sounding dish popping up all over the place.  When Food Network asked for recipes featuring a Halloween-themed post (produce related) for this week's Fall Fest I knew I had the perfect treat....no tricks here.

I simply added some pumpkin puree to my favorite hummus recipe. The pumpkin adds a subtle sweetness to traditional hummus.  You don't really taste it...but there is a hint of something different.  The jalapeno gives this a bit of a kick so add as much or as little hot pepper as you like. I always forget how easy it is to make hummus....whenever I buy some at the market (and pay exorbitant prices) I want to kick myself!  Once you soak and cook the chickpeas, the recipe takes 5 minutes.  Pressed for time?  Use organic canned beans and warm them in the microwave prior to the food processor.  Give this recipe a try...you will be glad you did. Happy Halloween!


Silky Pumpkin Hummus 
(makes 4 cups)
1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas (garbanzo beans, same thing)
juice from 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup tahini
1 clove garlic
1/2 fresh jalapeno or cayenne pepper, seeded with ribs removed
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1/2 cup pumpkin puree either fresh or canned (plain, not pumpkin pie puree)

Place dried chickpeas in large stockpot and cover with water by about 4 inches.  Cover and allow to soak 12 hours. (I do this the night before I plan to make the hummus).

After soaking add enough water to again cover chickpeas by 4 inches.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.  Check beans every half hour for water level. Add additional water if needed to keep beans covered. After 1 hour, check chickpeas by tasting one. They should be very tender without any "tooth" when you bite.  If not tender enough, cook an additional 15-30 minutes. (note, the older the peas are the longer they will take to cook. If you are making chickpeas for a salad they should be a bit firmer than for hummus. Experiment until you find the texture you like.)

Drain chickpeas reserving 1 cup cooking liquid.  Measure 3 cups warm chickpeas and place in bowl of food processor. Reserve the rest for another use.  Add 1/2 cup cooking liquid and the remaining ingredients to bowl. Process until very smooth.  Add additional cooking liquid if needed, hummus should be very soft and smooth. Refrigerate for 2 hours.  Bring to room temperature.  Taste and adjust seasonings if desired. Place in serving bowl and drizzle 1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over top. Serve with pita chips, olives, crudite platter, crackers or tortilla chips.

Click Here for Printer Friendly Recipe


 
It is "Halloween-themed post (produce related)" week at Food Network's Fall fest. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends.  Have a favorite holiday recipe of your own? Please share in the comments section of this post. 

Feed Me Phoebe: Leftover Jack-o-Lantern Salad i.e. Pumpkin & Arugula Salad with Miso-Lemon Dressing
The Heritage Cook: Jack-o'-Lantern Black & Orange Soups
The Lemon Bowl: Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Virtually Homemade: Apple Caramel Cake Pops
Weelicious: Roasted Pumpkin and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds 
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Ghoulish "Bloody Brains" Roasted Cauliflower and Beet Hummus
Devour: Caramel Apples for Halloween
Taste With The Eyes: Braised Oxtail for Halloween?
Made By Michelle: Clementine Pumpkins
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Silky Pumpkin Hummus
Red or Green: Spooky Black Bean Dip & Chile Roasted Sweet Potato Appetizers
Dishing: Spinach Stuffed Mushrooms
Domesticate Me: Spiced Pumpkin Punch
Cooking With Elise: Wicked Good Halloween Recipes
The Sensitive Epicure: Trick or Treat, Spaghetti or Squash? Both
FN Dish: Have a Homemade Halloween

best,
diane



I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog"California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

No comments: