Tuesday, September 22, 2015

"Grownup" Caramel Apples


I am part of a group hosting a "scotch tasting party" in November. This was a silent auction item at a fundraiser for our local food pantry. The other hosts are contributing the scotch. I have the task of creating an appetizer menu to pair with each scotch offering. Yikes!  Food and scotch?  This should be interesting. I am still working on the savory items...but dessert? That one is in the bag.


I loved caramel apples as a kid. Still do. It is my guilty fall snack. I make a big batch of caramel and then dip sliced apples into the deliciousness. Not very healthy, I admit. But, once in a while, a very welcome treat. There is something so magical about combining apples and caramel sauce. For the party, I decided that a bit of spice and a shot of the aforementioned scotch would add a grownup component to my childhood treat. So... "Grownup Caramel Apples" were born.


I baked apples filled with coconut sugar, honey, spices and extra virgin olive oil and then drizzled lots of warm dulce de leche sauce spiked with a bit of scotch. My husband and I did a taste test in preparation for the party. I won't admit to how fast we devoured every bite. A shot of scotch with the apples was the perfect finish to the day. This recipe is a keeper and will be a welcome addition to our Thanksgiving dessert table. Enjoy!


Grownup Caramel Apples
(makes 6)

6 Granny Smith or Fuji apples
extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons coconut sugar
1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups dulce de leche sauce (homemade) or best quality purchased. I use this brand.
2-3 tablespoons Scotch
pinch sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease rimmed baking pan with olive oil.

Core apples and place in prepared pan. Drizzle olive oil in the center of each apple and along the tops. Drizzle honey equally in the center of each apple. (Heat honey in microwave for a few seconds if necessary to make it pourable).
In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, allspice, cinnamon and sea salt. Sprinkle equally in the center of each apple.

Cover the pan with foil and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until the apples just easily pierce with a sharp knife. Do not overcook the apples, you want a bit of texture.

Remove from oven and place apples on serving plates. Drizzle some of the pan juices over each apple.

Place dulce de leche in a microwave safe bowl and heat, in 10-second increments, until soft and very pourable. Quickly stir in the Scotch and salt. Drizzle into the center of apples and along the top. Serve immediately.

Note...you could serve this with vanilla ice cream, but I don't think it works for the scotch tasting party. I love it as is.

Click Here For Printer Friendly Recipe



It is Apple week at Food Network's Fall Fest roundup. Do you have a favorite apple recipe to share? Please list (or link) in the comments below. And be sure to check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends and Food Network. 

The Lemon Bowl: Sparkling Apple Cider Punch
Creative Culinary: 
Boozy Apple Crisp
Homemade Delish: 
Apple Chips
Healthy Eats: 
6 Healthy Treats to Make After Apple Picking
Daisy at Home: 
Fall Farmer's Market Salad
Virtually Homemade: 
Gluten-Free Salted Caramel Apple Bars
TasteBook: 
Caramel Baked Apples with Cinnamon-Oat Crumble
Napa Farmhouse 1885: 
"Grownup" Caramel Apples
Red or Green: 
Caramel Apple Spiced Shortcakes
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: 
Whole Grain Oat & Millet Pancakes with Shaved Apples
Domesticate Me: 
Roast Chicken, Apple and Brie Grilled Cheese
Taste with the Eyes: 
Classic Apple Tarte Tatin with Cognac and Crème Fraîche
FN Dish: 
Quickest, Easiest Apple Dessert Recipes

best,
diane

I have started sharing my newest blog "California Girl in Taos."  Please visit and let me know what you think.

No comments: