Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Healthy Chocolate & Greens Fudgsicles


Do you remember Fudgsicles? I used to love them when I was a kid. Out of curiosity, I recently googled their ingredients. Here is what I found:

Ingredients: nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, high fructose corn syrup, water, palm oil, cocoa processed with alkali, tricalcium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, guar gum, malt powder, salt, polysorbate 80, polysorbate 65, carrageenan




Ick, right? So I decided to recreate the classic and make it healthy as well as delicious. I was drinking my morning smoothie, and inspiration struck. Add a little bit of unsweetened chocolate along with my usual chocolate protein powder, freeze in popsicle molds and viola...a delicious dessert treat that is loaded with greens, protein, and nutrients. No added sugar, vegan (if your protein powder is vegan) and healthy as all get-out. How cool is that?  



I love how easy it is to make this recipe. Five minutes of prep, a minute in the blendar or food processor and a quick pour. I get 16 popsicles from this recipe, but it all depends on the size of your molds. It is so nice to know that I can pull one from the freezer whenever I want. Healthy, delicious, premade. Perfect. Enjoy the rest of summer everyone!



Healthy Chocolate & Greens Fudgsicles

3 cups coconut, almond or soy milk
1 cup organic baby spinach
1/2 bunch organic Italian parsley
1 stalk organic celery
1 organic apple
1 organic banana (I chop up bananas and store in freezer for my smoothies)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen organic blueberries
2 scoops chocolate protein powder (find one without added sugar)
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Chop or tear fruit and vegetables into large pieces.  Add all ingredients to blender.  Chop, pulse, puree until the mixture is very smooth. Taste smoothie and add additional protein powder if you want your fudgsicles a bit more chocolatey. 

Pour into popsicle mold and freeze until firm. Serve.

Click Here For Printer Friendly Recipe


Summer means easy, breezy dishes made from fresh, just-picked produce and this week at Food Network's Summer Soiree we are celebrating Frozen DessertsDo you have a favorite frozen dessert recipe? Share in the comments section and/or link to your blog if you have one. And be sure to check out the delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends and Food Network. 

The Hungry Traveler Blog: Banana Coconut Paletas
The Lemon Bowl: 
Chocolate Peanut Butter Magic Shell
Creative Culinary: 
Strawberry, Lemon and Basil Sherbet
The Heritage Cook: 
Grilled Plums and Port Parfaits (Gluten-Free)
TasteBook: 
Triple Chocolate Mousse Pie
Dishin & Dishes: 
Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
Homemade Delish: 
Jalapeno and Peach Gelato
Napa Farmhouse 1885: 
Healthy Chocolate & Greens Fudgsicles
Red or Green: 
Ice Cream Sandwiches with Frozen Yogurt
The Mom 100: 
Easy Chocolate Mousse
Weelicious: 
Fruity Lemonade Ice Pops
Taste with the Eyes: 
Figs and Sabayon à la Julia Child
Healthy Eats: 
Puddings, Pops and Pies: 7 Desserts Best Served Cold
In Jennie's Kitchen: 
Seven Sensational Frozen Treats
FN Dish: 
8 Desserts to Check Off Your Frozen-Treat Bucket List

best,
diane

I have started sharing my newest blog "California Girl in Taos."  Please visit and let me know what you think.

No comments: