Tuesday, November 4, 2008

did you vote yet?

what is more appropriate during our thanksgiving series than to give thanks for our right to vote? after what seems like a lifetime, election day is finally here. i have been reading reports on twitter all morning of long lines at polling places...and everyone is inspired..in napa, where i live, we don't actually vote at a polling place. we fill out our ballots at home and either mail in or drop off at our local elections division office or a "vote by mail assistance center".... convenient..but this year, i find that i am really missing the tradition of pulling the lever...whatever the outcome, the most historic election in my lifetime.

so today's post is short and sweet..vote! whatever your party affiliation, however you think the results will be...please vote...vote for the next president..vote for all the other open races...vote your choice in all the proposed propositions and new laws in your area...read your voter information guide...voice your opinion via your vote...now, for those of you reading this post who are not united states citizens..i apologize for a bit of an "exclusionary" post...but today is too important to ignore...i promise to get back to thanksgiving, food, stories and recipes tomorrow...but today..my focus is getting out the vote..and then staying glued to news coverage of the returns...happy election day everyone!!

do you have an interesting election day story? please share in the comments section of this post...

best,
diane
napa farmhouse 1885™
"live a green life of style"

follow me on twitter

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I voted!

Anonymous said...

I voted too

Food Lover said...

I brought my 8 year old son with me to vote this morning because I wanted someone to be in the booth with me to witness this incredibly historic moment. I don't know if he will really appreciate it until he is a lot older, but I know I got really choked up when I pressed the "cast vote" button. I told my son about a time in this country not so long ago when Black people did not have the right to vote, and what a privilege it is to not only have this right, but to have the opportunity to vote for a Black candidate. It means something; we can't take it for granted.

I really enjoy your Twitters, by the way.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we voted! Would never, ever miss it for the world!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

i voted..or at least dropped off my ballot..at 12:37 pm!! what a feeling!! what a historic day!!...wanna experience this feeling?? vote!!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

kate and dan..thanks for voting..and for the comments!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

thanks, food lover, for sharing this story..what a cool and memorable day for your son!
btw..i discovered your blog and i love it..will check back frequently!
diane

Anonymous said...

I voted this morning!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

thanks white on rice couple..and congrats on your la times article..well done!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

hi chris and welcome..thanks for taking the time to comment...