Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes & Tomatoes with Basil

I am a basil addict and have six different varieties growing in my garden. I used purple basil for this recipe, but any type is just perfect.

The fresher the ingredients, the simpler the preparation. That is my motto for summer, and this recipe is a perfect example. We went to the farmers' market on Saturday morning, and I didn't have a clue as to what I was going to make for dinner. I passed a stand with the most adorable, tiny fingerling potatoes and knew that was the starting point. The next stand had beautiful, sweet-gold tomatoes. My garden at home is overflowing with basil. Ding, ding, ding! Dinner was planned.



I love roasted summer potatoes, and the pairing with tomatoes is especially nice. Excellent extra virgin olive oil, good salt, and a handful of fresh basil scream the season is here. A complete dinner for me (with lots of wine); I added roast chicken for my guests. #keepsummergoing


I love basil in any way, shape or form. I used purple basil for this recipe because it is so pretty and, honestly) I was overdue for pinching off the flowers so two accomplishments for the price of one. (sssh, don't tell anyone that I am behind in gardening duties...our secret) For more information about growing and using purple basil, please check out this article.

Roasted Fingerling Potatoes & Tomatoes with Basil

1 lb fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
3/4 lb cherry tomatoes (preferably sweet gold)
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces (any kind. I used purple because it is pretty)
extra virgin olive oil
coarse sea salt
black pepper

Preheat oven to 425 minutes. Line a large, rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper. 

Add the potatoes to a large bowl and drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil over the top. Using your hands, roll the potatoes around until they are evenly coated with oil. Pour onto the prepared baking pan and spread out over 1/2 of the pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in preheated pan and roast for 15-30 minutes, or until they are light brown and beginning to soften. (The time will depend on the size of the potatoes. mine were tiny and took 15 minutes)

Remove from oven and add the tomatoes to the empty side of the pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Return pan to oven and roast for and additional 15-20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and soft, and tomatoes have started to burst.

Remove from oven and arrange potatoes and tomatoes on a platter. Drizzle with additional olive oil and sprinkle basil over the top. Serve hot or warm.

Additional basil recipes you may enjoy:




It is "Basil" week at Food Network's Summer Soiree roundup. Do you have a favorite basil recipe to share? Please list (or link) in the comments below. And be sure to check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends and Food Network.

Devour: Pesto, Change-o: 6 Recipes to Use Up Leftover Basil
Feed Me Phoebe: 
Brazilian-Style Moqueca Fish Packets with Coconut Milk, Tomatoes and Herbs
In Jennie's Kitchen: 
Peach & Basil Panzanella
The Lemon Bowl: 
Thai Basil Shrimp
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: 
Basil Seeds Limeade
Creative Culinary: 
Ricotta, Lemon and Basil Pasta Salad
TasteBook: 
Frozen Basil Daiquiri
Healthy Eats: 
7 Summer Dishes That Aren't Complete Without Basil
Napa Farmhouse 1885: 
Roasted Fingerling Potatoes & Tomatoes with Basil
The Mom 100: 
Shrimp and Corn Salad with Basil Dressing
Swing Eats: 
Gluten-Free Gnocchi With Tomato Sauce And Basil
Taste with the Eyes: 
Mandilli di Seta al Pesto (Handkerchief Pasta) #glutenfree
FN Dish: 7 Ways to Take Fresh Basil Beyond Pesto 

best,
diane


I have started sharing my newest blog "California Girl in Taos."  Please visit and let me know what you think.

1 comment:

1 click dissertation review said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.