Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Mom's Potato Salad (the best ever!)



This potato salad is my all time favorite...and I mean that literally. My mom has been making this my entire life and, to me, no other version ever measures up.  My mom made a few edits to my grandmother's recipe (like adding the pickle juice) and a great recipe became a superstar.


I think part of the reason I love this salad is the freshness of the ingredients. We usually make it in summer using freshly dug up potatoes and onions with celery from the garden. The creamy dressing of mayonnaise married with extra virgin olive oil, mustard and pickle juice is creamy, smooth and tangy at the same time. Delicious and easy.
Sunday dinner in summer...ham, potato salad, coleslaw and baked beans

The other reason I love this salad is every time I taste it I am immediately reminded of family parties...and lazy, warm summer days...and the beach, or park, or my parent's backyard. But most especially being with family and friends. I visited my family last month and we had a big get-together for Sunday dinner. My mom is not able to do a lot of cooking anymore, but that does not stop her from planning the menu and inviting everyone in sight. We decided we had to have potato salad so I made it under her direction. I followed her instructions with measurements, chopping and gathering the ingredients. She stirred the salad and was the official taster.  Great party, even better memories. Cooking with my mom...dinner with my entire family. It just does not get better than that.
Even this butterfly bowl has memories. Has been in my family my entire life.

Mom's Potato Salad (the best ever!)
(serves 6-8) can be doubled, tripled etc

3 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tbsp kosher pickle juice
1/4 cup chopped kosher pickles
1/2 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
1/2 cup chopped red onion

1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
3 hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 tbsp paprika
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Add the potatoes and a large pinch of salt to a large pot of water over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow to cool.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, olive oil, mustard, pickle juice, pickles and a large pinch each salt and pepper. Set aside.

Cut the potatoes into quarters and add to the bowl with the mayo dressing.. Add the celery, red onion and olives. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Top salad with sliced eggs, paprika and celery leaves. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. 



Click Here for Printer Friendly Recipe


It is "Potato Salad" week at Food Network's #Summer Soiree roundup. Have a favorite potato salad recipe?  Share in the comments section and/or link to your blog if you have one. 

Chez Us: Baked Potato Salad
The Heritage Cook: French Potato Salad with Haricot Vert (Gluten-Free)
Weelicious: Blue and White Potato Salad
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Mom's Potato Salad (the Best Ever!)
Red or Green: Spicy Potato Salad with Jalapeno and Vinegar Vinaigrette
Feed Me Phoebe: Healthy Greek Potato Salad
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Creamy Potato Salad with Mint
In Jennie's Kitchen: Warm Smashed Roasted Potato Salad
FN Dish: 10 New Ways to Do Up Potato Salad

Domesticate Me: Warm Roasted Potato Salad with Pancetta, Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Arugula

best,

I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

This looks so yummy and perfect for a summer day! Thank you for sharing!!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

You are welcome Michelle. This is the potato salad I have eaten my entire life...happy to share!

Yhe Cristy said...

Found you via Pinterest. This has become a weekly meal in our house. thanks for the recipe.