Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pork Chop Casserole with Crimini Mushrooms

I was so lucky growing up in that my entire family lived near us in Southern California. Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Grandparents, Great Aunts & Uncles...you name it. And our family got together often. Of course for every holiday...but other times too. We had family dinner at my grandparent's home every Wednesday. We went to the beach...movies...vacations...restaurants...plays. The whole family came to my high school football games because I dated a player. And every summer vacation we had lunch once a month at my Great Aunt Lena's home.

Aunt Lena was an amazing cook...a legendary baker...and a talented seamstress. She frequently made a pork chop casserole for luncheon. Imagine August in Pasadena California. Temps in the high 90's...no air conditioner at Aunt Lena's...and her making and baking a cream sauce based casserole. Her kitchen was almost unbearably hot...but the casserole was delicious. And she always had a homemade dessert! We so looked forward to Aunt Lena's lunches.

This is "casserole" week at Food Network's Comfort Food Feast. I don't make casseroles often but I have been wanting to recreate Aunt Lena's pork chops. I lightened up the dish with fresh mushrooms, peas and added white wine to my version. I don't think she would have minded. I don't have her recipe so this is from memory...I hope I came close. But, either way, Peter loved it...ate it 3 times...and nothing is more comforting to me than people enjoying my food. Enjoy!



Pork Chop Casserole with Crimini Mushrooms
(serves 4 as a main dish)

4 bone in pork chops
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for greasing casserole dish
1 white onion, chopped
6 crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 1/2 cups dry white wine
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley, chopped 
12 oz pkg medium egg noodles
1 1/2 cups peas (fresh or frozen)
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

Season pork chops with salt and pepper, set aside. 

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and seasoned pork chops. Brown chops on both sides. Add onions and mushrooms, saute for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and saute another minute. Add soup, wine, mustard, parsley and 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 1 hour.

While pork chop mixture simmers, bring large stockpot filled with water to a boil. Season with small handful of salt and add noodles. Cook for 5 minutes, drain and set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Stir in peas to pork chop & noodles pan. Grease a large casserole dish with olive oil. Place noodle mixture in dish. Top with pork chops. Cover loosely with foil and bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Serve immediately.

Click Here for Printer Friendly Version


It is "casserole" week at Food Network's Comfort Food Feast. Check out the other delicious sounding recipes from my blogger friends.  Have a favorite casserole recipe of your own? Please share in the comments section of this post.  

The Heritage Cook: Tex-Mex Arroz con Pollo (Gluten-Free)
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Smoked Sausage Chicken Cassoulet
Big Girls, Small Kitchen: Cheesy Butternut Squash Enchiladas
Dishin & Dishes: Black Bean Enchilada Pie
Weelicious: Chicken Wild Rice Casserole
Dishing with Divya: Chicken Mushroom and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole
Taste With The Eyes: Paella Rice with Baby Octopus & Meyer Lemon
Blue Apron: 11 Super Casserole Recipes for a Super Bowl Feast
Napa Farmhouse 1885: Pork Chop Casserole with Crimini Mushrooms
Red or Green: Stacked Cheese Enchiladas with New Mexican Red Chile Sauce
Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Chicken and Rice Casserole
The Sensitive Epicure: Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole (Gluten-Free)
Domesticate Me: Mushroom, White Bean and Brown Rice Casserole with Bacon and Gruyere
Daily*Dishin: Chicken Tetrazzini Casserole
FN Dish: The New Age of Casseroles

best,
diane
napa farmhouse 1885

I have started sharing my Taos experiences on my newest blog "California Girl in Taos". Please visit and let me know what you think.

10 comments:

Erika said...

I wonder if this would work with boneless pork chops. Looks yummy!

Heather said...

Yummy! My hubby loves mushrooms so this would be a hit with him. I'm glad your food is so connected to your family

Mommy Mafia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mommy Mafia said...

This looks delicious! I'm going to try it tonight :)

Helen said...

Ooh, this looks amazing! I love the combination of pork and mushrooms. I'll definitely have to try this out soon!

Unknown said...

What lovely family memories. We have the same big lunches, usually once a month though because everyone is so busy. These porkchops look like heaven. I am trying out this recipe this week since I had porkchops on the menu!

Stopping by from your SITS girls comment love group. I am also now your newest follower. Don't want to miss a recipe!

Napa Farmhouse 1885 said...

Thank you all for the comments and welcome Ida...always love new followers! :) Erika...if you use boneless pork chops be sure to reduce the cooking time accordingly. I have not tried to I cannot give you the exact time but the browning time will be shorter and ensure the chops are completely covered with liquid while cooking so they don't dry out. Good Luck!

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

This sounds like a great combination. I use boneless chops all the time, so I'd make that adaptation as well. My kids love noodles and peas!

Unknown said...

Yum! This looks delicious. Coming over from the SITS Comment Love!

plasterer bristol said...

yum yum pork chops, not had them in ages, thanks for sharing.