1 onion, chopped
extra virgin olive oil
8 cups homemade or organic store bought vegetable stock
4 cups water, reserved from bean soaking liquid
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp cilantro, very finely chopped
2 tbsp cilantro, coarsely chopped
3 tsps kosher salt
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 bunch kale, chiffonade and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
4 celery stalks, chopped
1 28 oz can, whole tomatoes (pour into a large bowl and crush tomatoes with your hands)
1 cup lentils (i like either yellow or pink in this dish, but any kind will work)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp mace
small pinch red pepper flakes
small pinch freshly cracked black pepper
5 oz whole wheat, small elbow macaroni
2 tbsp italian parsley, chopped
2 tbsp italian parsley, whole leaves
1. place chickpeas (garbanzo beans) in a large stockpot and cover with 5 inches of water. let soak at least 8 hours, or overnight. drain beans reserving 4 cups of soaking liquid. place beans in a bowl.
2. add 3 tbsp olive oil to stockpot and heat until warm. add chopped onion and cook until translucent (about 5 min). add chickpeas, stock and the 4 cups of reserved soaking liquid. simmer until beans are tender, approx 45 minutes.
3. using the side of a chef's knife, mash the garlic, cilantro and salt into a paste. add garlic paste, bell pepper, kale, celery, tomatoes with their juice, lentils, tomato paste, and all the spices to bean mixture. squeeze the juice from one lemon juice to the pot. stir. simmer uncovered until lentils are tender. 30-40 minutes.
4. add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is al dente, approx 10 minutes.
5. stir in coarsely chopped cilantro and parsley.
6. garnish with parsley leaves and serve with remaining lemon wedges.
do you have family visiting for the holidays? what are your time saving tips? please share in the comments section below...thanks
napa farmhouse 1885™"live a green life of style™ "do you like us? really like us? then please join our facebook fan page